Business Frameworks and Strategy
This course provides and overview of business frameworks such that that students will be able to appreciate and leverage these business concepts in their design work.
Although there are exceptions, senior managers and those that control resources are more often trained as traditional business thinkers. To be effective and impactful in these situations, designers need to expand their vocabulary and abilities to bridge to the domain of business.
Students will become familiar with the basic topics taught in leading MBA programs. At the same time students will be encouraged to integrate their design perspective to these frameworks in order to bring unique contributions to the business and thereby enhance their effectiveness in organizations.
Upon completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Define and evaluate company strategies
- Read financial statements and understand how companies are valued
- Articulate basic marketing frameworks and understand the advantages and disadvantages of various channels to market
- Understand theories of innovation and be able to define a business model
- Define what makes an effective leader and how they can exert their personal leadership in the work situations they encounter