Master of Design/MBA Dual Degree
The first program of its kind in the world, IIT’s Master of Design/Master of Business Administration (MDes/MBA) marks an important milestone in the co-evolution of design, management, and innovation. Offered in conjunction with the IIT Stuart School of Business, the MDes/MBA dual-degree program combines graduate professional education in both design and business. As design becomes regarded as an essential business resource, professional education that links the two fields is becoming increasingly important.
“Today my title at the Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation is Service Designer, but it doesn’t begin to speak to what I actually do. I think change maker—or some might say meddler—is a little more appropriate, because our charge is not just to design the future of health care, but to make it.”
Service Designer, Mayo Clinic Center for Innovation
The dual-degree program integrates the Institute of Design’s user-centered, methods-based approach to innovation with core management education in marketing, project accounting, and organizational behavior from IIT’s Stuart School of Business. This course of study provides students with a unique and powerfully broad perspective on the innovation process. Upon graduation, MDes/MBA graduates are uniquely qualified to lead collaborative, interdisciplinary, innovation initiatives in global organizations.
Students with a design background can be awarded both the MDes and MBA after two years plus one quarter, rather than the three years of continuous study required if they are pursued separately. Students without a bachelor degree in design must complete an intensive two-semester foundation sequence before beginning the main MDes program. MBA courses can be taken during this time.
Those interested in applying for this degree must also apply with the Stuart School of Business here.
Important next steps: Apply to IIT Institute of Design first and indicate your interest in this dual MBA/MDes program. Applicants admitted to the MDes program will then be advised to submit an application to the Master of Business Administration program. Please note the following:
- Applicants must pay the application fee for both programs. IIT Institute of Design does not waive application fees, and IIT Stuart provides limited waivers for students who attend Open House events.
- Applicants must provide a separate professional statement for each program.
- Any requests for test score waivers must be made through each program.
- Any available fellowships or scholarships are awarded separately by program.
- Applicants can submit the same letters of recommendation used for the IIT Institute of Design application to accompany the IIT Stuart application.