Building and Understanding Context
This course will improve critical thinking skills when wrestling with the wide variety of input and insight that often accompanies design initiatives.
Understanding the context of a particular design challenge is critical to ensuring an insightful and reliable solution. Most design challenges today require an astute understanding of the many dynamics at play to see a path forward. Context in this sense is the surrounding landscape of trends and influences across all aspects of design from brand, form, and interaction to platforms, IP, and underlying business models. The course will include basic overviews of argumentation, secondary research, and group-based discussion methods.
- Provide a forum for students to build a repertoire of approaches to quickly understand the context of any design challenge
- Hone critical thinking skills to question the validity of reference information and conclusions drawn from them
- Expose students to contemporary issues in the field of design
- Students will be able to collect, organize, and interpret secondary information for the purposes of problem orientation
- Student will be comfortable debating points of view developed as a result of building a context of understanding