ESP + Design
ESP + Design—an advanced English language program with a design focus
ESP + Design students improve their English and gain knowledge of design history and modern design issues while participating in the Master of Design program.
IIT Institute of Design offers a unique program of study that combines English for Special Purpose instruction with graduate-level design education. The program is taught over two semesters concurrently with coursework in the Design Masters program. Its goal is to help students from outside of the US perfect their English fluency inside, and outside, of the classroom. (Students with TOEFL scores between 80-100 may be required to enroll.) In ESP + Design, students broaden their design vocabulary and increase their understanding of design in the US.
|First semester (typical)||Second semester (typical)|
*Design electives that can be modified with approval of faculty and advisors.
Students in the ESP + Design program complete 18 additional credit hours of instruction while pursuing their design courses. This adds approximately one semester total to the standard MDES program.
ESP + Design Beneﬁts
- Attend classes at the ID campus in downtown Chicago
- Access to many cultural sites and the rich design community in Chicago
- Learn from full-time faculty and certified ESL faculty
- Share studio space with all ID students
- Participate in annual conferences, student activity boards, the End of Year Show, parties, and more
For those students with TOEFL less than 80 or equivalent, IIT offers intensive English programs to consider. Please read more here.