Master of Design + MBA
Master of Design + MBA overview
IIT’s Master of Design + Master of Business Administration (MDes + MBA) is the ﬁrst program of its kind. It marks an important milestone in the co-evolution of design, management, and innovation. MDes + MBA students pursue two graduate degrees simultaneously, one with ID and one with IIT Stuart School of Business.
The MDes + MBA program combines a user-centered, method-based approach to innovation with core management education. MDes + MBA graduates are uniquely qualified to lead collaborative, interdisciplinary innovation initiatives in global organizations.
Students with a bachelor degree in design can graduate after two years (including summer sessions for MBA courses). Non-designers complete a two-semester Foundation program along with the MDes program. MBA courses can be taken during Foundation.
The Master of Design is a two-year, 54-credit-hour degree program. Over 80% of the courses in the program are electives (seminars and workshops) allowing students to customize their program of study. Students can choose courses ranging across communication design, product design, strategic planning, user research, interaction design and systems design.
|Based on 2017-2018 student body, backgrounds and prior education|
Learn more about our students
Students and graduates of ID become members of a very accomplished, well-connected network of people spanning the globe. Graduates of ID hold positions of influence in companies such as Steelcase, Motorola, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Salesforce.com, SCJ Johnson, Samsung, McDonald’s and design consultancies like Doblin|Monitor, Fjord|Accenture, Ziba Design, IA Collaborative, IDEO, Jump Associates, and gravitytank.
Organizations have employed ID graduates as:
- Design Planner/Strategist
- Senior Innovation Strategist
- Director of Strategy and New Business Development
- Director of Product Development
- Director of Innovation Methods
- Director of User Research
- Brand Strategist
- Director of Interaction Design
- Senior Information Architect
- Senior UX Designer
Learn more about our alumni
- 4 semesters, including summer sessions, depending on MBA scheduling (1 semester additional with the Foundation program, MBA can be taken in parallel)
- 42 credit hours for Institute of Design (15 credit hours additional with the Foundation program)
- 36 credit hours for Stuart School of Business
- Full-time residency is required for the Master of Design program
|Tuition (2018-2019 rate)||$29,675**||per semester|
|Student fees, books, and supplies||$1,268*||per semester|
|Living expenses (room & board)||$6,750*||per semester|
|Health insurance||$1,483*||per year|
**due to variations in how MBA courses are scheduled/taken additional tuition may be necessary for summer terms.
Learn more about Fellowships + Financial Aid
To participate in this unique program, you will be asked to complete one application that will be reviewed separately by the Institute of Design and the Stuart School of Business. To complete your application you will need to provide the following:
- Portfolio of work. 5-15 pages that demonstrate critical thinking, problem/concept exploration, and proposed solutions.
- GRE/GMAT test scores. (GRE minimum 310/340 or 3.0/6.0, GMAT minimum 600/800 or 3.0/6.0)
- Statement of educational objectives. 1-3 pages including career goals and reasons for studying at the Institute of Design and the Stuart School of Business. An additional interview (by phone, Skype, or in person) may be required.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. 2-4 years of professional practice is typical, but not required. Full-time internships, volunteer work, and freelance projects will be considered.
- Transcripts from all prior degrees. Degrees must be from an accredited educational institution with a minimum cumulative GPA 3.0/4.0 or equivalent. For international applicants without a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited English-language university, a TOEFL or IETLS test is required. (TOEFL minimum 100, IELTS minimum 7.5, Scores below will be required to enroll in English programs.)
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters from professional or academic references commenting on your goals and abilities.
- Application fee. $100.00
Special considerations for Master of Design + MBA
- Requests for test score waivers must be made separately through each school
- Any available fellowships or scholarships are awarded separately by each school
See additional information and commonly asked questionsApply Now