Master of Design
Master of Design Overview
The Master of Design (MDes) program welcomes students from around the world. Graduates become thought leaders, researchers, strategists and change agents at the most inﬂuential global organizations. They demonstrate novel yet feasible solutions to the most challenging problems of our time. In short, they make our world better.
Throughout the Master of Design program students collaborate in multi-disciplinary teams on real-world projects with partners in healthcare, business, CPG, civics, and more. Projects focus on local and global challenges, addressing problems through innovation, rigor, and creativity.
In addition to experienced designers, we encourage students with no formal design training to apply. A two-semester Foundation program provides prerequisite skills and experience. Approximately 50% of students at ID come from non-design backgrounds such as business, engineering, liberal arts, computer science, and architecture.
The Master of Design is a two-year, 54-credit-hour degree program. Over 80% of the courses in the program are electives (seminars and workshops) allowing students to customize their program of study. Students can choose courses ranging across communication design, product design, strategic planning, user research, interaction design and systems design.
See the full list of courses offered for the Master of Design
|Based on 2017-2018 student body, backgrounds and prior education|
Learn more about our students
Students and graduates of ID become members of a very accomplished, well-connected network of people spanning the globe. Graduates of ID hold positions of influence in companies such as Steelcase, Motorola, Microsoft, Amazon, Apple, Salesforce.com, SCJ Johnson, Samsung, McDonald’s and design consultancies like Doblin|Monitor, Fjord|Accenture, Ziba Design, IA Collaborative, IDEO, Jump Associates, and gravitytank.
Organizations have employed ID graduates as:
- Design Planner/Strategist
- Senior Innovation Strategist
- Director of Strategy and New Business Development
- Director of Product Development
- Director of Innovation Methods
- Director of User Research
- Brand Strategist
- Director of Interaction Design
- Senior Information Architect
- Senior UX Designer
Learn more about our alumni
- 4 semesters (1 semester additional with the Foundation program)
- 54 credit hours (15 credit hours additional with the Foundation program)
- Master of Design program is full-time only
|Tuition (2018-2019 rate)||$24,501||per semester|
|Student fees, books, and supplies||$1,268*||per semester|
|Living expenses (room & board)||$6,750*||per semester|
|Health insurance||$1,483*||per year|
Learn more about Fellowships + Financial Aid
Start your application to the Master of Design program today. To complete your application you will need to provide the following:
- Portfolio of work. 5-15 pages that demonstrate critical thinking, problem/concept exploration, and proposed solutions. For those applicants without an undergraduate degree in communication or product design, a GRE/GMAT test will be required instead of a portfolio. (GRE minimum 310/340 or 3.0/6.0, GMAT minimum 600/800 or 3.0/6.0)
- Statement of educational objectives. 1-3 pages including career goals and reasons for studying at the Institute of Design. An additional interview (by phone, Skype, or in person) may be required.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae. 2-4 years of professional practice is typical, but not required. Full-time internships, volunteer work, and freelance projects will be considered.
- Transcripts from all prior degrees. Degrees must be from an accredited educational institution with a minimum cumulative GPA 3.0/4.0 or equivalent. For international applicants without a bachelor’s or master’s degree from an accredited English-language university, a TOEFL or IETLS test is required. (TOEFL minimum 100, IELTS minimum 7.5. Scores below will be required to enroll in English programs.)
- Letters of recommendation. Three letters from professional or academic references commenting on your goals and abilities.
- Application fee. $100.00
See additional information and commonly asked questions